It seems that many agree that there is a problem with "interoperability" in DLs. My question is, if there are systems available that someone has developed, why not use them? It is expense? I'm looking at the OMI-PMH page and the description seems reasonable. Why would anyone with a difficult-to-use DL not want to use this protocol?
Maybe I am totally missing the point here.
Suleman states that "while technically sound, [Dienst] required an investment in software, methodology, and support that some prospective users were not willing to make" (2). I imagine this is the perspective for many on why one thing or another is adopted, it is probably cheaper to try and develop something on your own although it causes problems later.
I am still kind of unclear how all this really relates to real life DLs - the theory is good for background but some real-life examples on how DLs do not "interoperate" would provide some clarification for me.
The Payette article was too much "computer guts" in many places that was beyond my understanding. My notes on the PDF again say a very basic example would help me a lot.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment